Do You Believe in the MBTI?

Recently, I’ve been reading up a lot on Myers Briggs type indicators. I took the personality test at the Bryn Mawr College Career and Professional Development (CPD) last year (along with the Strengths and Interests Tests) just out of curiosity. I was feeling lost in my career path and didn’t know where to start. It was around this time that I decided the pre-med track wasn’t for me. Taking the personality and career tests, along with the advice from CPD counselors, was the official “go ahead” to explore other options and know a bit more about myself.38488

The MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) is one of the oldest personality style inventories and has been used in many settings and situations. The Myers Briggs Types may be used by the CPD for career advice, but your MBTI can also be used to analyze how you react in social situations as well.

I’m an ENFP (Extraversion, Intuition, Feeling, Perception). How accurate do I think this categorization of myself is? I definitely agree with the ENF. I think sometimes I waver between P and J (I’m sometimes an introvert, too). I’m very optimistic and like to try new things and meet new people. I think I would enjoy a career working with people and solving changing problems.

There’s a huge MBTI cult following on tumblr, reddit, and Thought Catalog. People on the internet have some very interesting, insightful things to say about MBTI and friendship, dating, habits, etc. Lately, I’ve been asking my friends around me what their MBTI is or trying to guess their MBTI. I was pretty surprised when I found out that most of my friends (including my sister) are actually introverts. This, of course, is hard to tell if you know the person really well and act more extroverted towards each other. I know that MBTI doesn’t define the whole person or situation, but sometimes the predictions are strangely accurate.

Schedule your appointment with the CPD through LanternLink or stop by Bryn Mawr College Career and Professional Development in the Campus Center, Room 202 during walk-in hours to ask about personality tests.

Nothing beats the real deal, but you can also take a version of the MBTI Test here: 16personalities.com